Home acne treatment is usually the last resort or when all else fails people turn to age old home remedies for treatment of their acne. Let me share with you a new home acne treatment called light therapy which is not a well known or even a popular therapy since it is a relatively new discovery in the fight against acne, but recent research and studies have shown that it can be a valuable ally in the fight against acne and for those desiring home acne treatment in the comfort and privacy of their home.
Home Acne Treatment – New Light Therapy
Since ancient times, people have instinctively treated the light from the Sun as a source of energy and good health. With the recent advances in the field of science it has been proven that moderate exposure to sunlight has beneficial effects on the body. Sunlight plays a major role in the production of vitamin D, and now that light can also be used in the treatment of acne. Of note, there are many light therapy devices that are much more powerful than natural sunlight and quite useful for home acne treatment. These devices are also quite cheap and can be safely used at home with no side effects and these devices are priced at an average of around $250 and they do work very well and last a long time.
For this kind of home acne treatment to be effective, you should spend at least 10 minutes a day in front of the lighting device. Protective eye gear is required or one can even say mandatory as such blue light can harm the retina. Also, you should not spend an extended amount of time in front of the device. Limiting each session to roundabout 20 minutes is the best way to go about it or else instead of acne treatment you will begin to develop other skin conditions and ailments as side effects.
The light therapy in home acne treatment involves a special device emitting blue and red light i.e. ultraviolet radiation using LEDs. The bacteria that causes the acne eruption is weakened by this kind of ultraviolet radiation and killed very easily. This ultraviolet radiation is not strong or concentrated enough to cause other skin damage during brief periods of exposure. The best results have been shown when the therapy combines both types of light (blue and red) as opposed to using only one form or in particular blue light which is the stronger of the two.
Studies over the years have shown that an average of 80% of the patients have shown significant improvement in their skin condition over a period of 3 months with regular usage of such light therapy. The studies also revealed that such home acne treatment is better received by patients than traditional forms of acne treatment like benzoyl peroxide and that light therapy results are overall better. Studies have also shown that the efficiency of such treatment increases if a parallel acne remedy is also used.
Give this form of home acne treatment a trial especially if you have tried other acne therapies and they have failed. Light therapy has been used successfully in the treatment of other ailments as well such as neonatal jaundice, major depression or other skin wound healing.
Home Acne Treatment – Traditional Therapy
Here are some other forms of home acne treatment, but these are the more traditional ways:
- Eating healthy foods. There is a very popular show in the United states called The Biggest Loser and contestants are put on a healthy diet. Apart from losing excess weight all the contestants are found to be with glowing and healthy skin at the end of the training period. This alone should emphasize how important eating healthy foods is in terms of home acne treatment.
- The bacteria, Propionibacterium acnes, causes acne and it can be found in the presence of excess oil on the face as well as dead skin cells on the face of a person suffering from acne. The best way to treat acne right at home is to enlarge the pores using some damp cloth dipped in hot water and cleaning the face with it or even using a hot shower or the sauna to open up the pores. Once the pores are open clean them thoroughly with a mint wash or even hot sterilized water. Do not use soap or a face wash as that will dry the face unnecessarily and end up causing more harm than good.
- Physical Exercise – Yeah I know it sounds like hard work and yes it is but hard physical exercise is a great way to flush your skin and rid your body of all harmful toxins. Regular physical exercise will go a long way in boosting your home acne treatment.
- Mental Stress – Science and medicine have proved that nearly all physical ailments have a mental origin and that’s true of acne too. One needs to relax and let go of all stress. Practicing deep breathing and breathing in copious amounts of fresh air will help relax all the stress and eliminate the cause of acne at the very root.
- Aloe Vera For Acne – Aloe Vera used as a topical solution is a great remedy for acne treatment. It can also be ingested in juice form and that works great too!
- Skin exfoliation – Exfoliation means removing dead skin. Dead skin is a great acne magnet and attracts all sorts of bacteria and impurities and hence it is absolutely essential to do skin exfoliation on a regular basis to get rid of all dead skin. This will go a long way in the success of your home acne treatment efforts. You can do skin exfoliation at home with facials, or any chemical or natural face peels or even honey and oatmeal. Yet another option is to undergo microdermabrasion.
- Fresh Garlic – Garlic has many medicinal properties and is very effective when used against acne. Fresh garlic can be rubbed on the face especially in the acne infected areas. This will for sure smell bad but is also a very highly effective home acne treatment so be sure to try it out.
- Egg White – Egg whites are again very effective in the treatment of acne. Make sure you keep the egg whites applied on the acne areas for at least 20 minutes for maximum benefit.
- OTC i.e. Over The Counter Acne Treatment – One can use many OTC acne remedies in their home acne treatment but you need to check that the products contain Benzoyl peroxide, Salicylic acid, Alpha hydroxy acids, and Sulfur to begin with and they do work very well for mild acne attacks and for keeping the skin clean and exfoliated when used on a regular basis.
- Holistic treatment of acne – This is another branch where the cause for the occurrence of acne is studied and the underlying reasons treated. Once the underlying cause has been addressed and corrected the acne disappears on its own. A good example of this would be hormonal imbalance leading to acne and once the hormonal imbalance is corrected there would be no further occurrence of acne.
These are just a few of the many acne treatments available and I will be sharing more on this blog so be sure to bookmark it and return. Please do keep in mind that while all these home acne treatments work very well proper ingestion of necessary vitamins, minerals and proteins too is every essential for a healthy body and for successful home acne treatment.